Sunday, May 8, 2011

What My Child is Reading

We stocked up on some new library books this week, so we've been reading a lot.

There were a few books that were "recommended reading" during the online art class that we are just now getting around to reading.

The first two, Not a Box and Not a Stick, are great, simple stories about using your imagination. Pinky and Chaos really liked these books and loved to guess what the box or stick would be next.


The next book, I Ain't Gonna Paint No More is a great story about a child who just can't stop painting. The rhyming is very catchy (I can't stop myself from singing it) and the ending had all of us laughing out loud.


The next two books we read, Sammy the Seal and Danny the Dinosaur, are classic Syd Hoff books that I recall reading as a child. Because they're easy readers, Pinky was able to help me read them.


Chaos's favorite book this week was Little Pea. It's a story of Little Pea and how much he hates to eat CANDY for dinner every night. His mom and dad tell him he can only have dessert if he takes 5 bites of his candy. What's for dessert? Spinach of course!


Finally, Pinky and I started the Magic Tree House series with Dinosaurs Before Dark. I was hesitant to try this series with her because I wasn't sure she would deem it "girly" enough for her tastes. I'm really glad I gave it a try. She loved it and has asked to read the next book in the series. I love that there are real dino facts in this book and the plot has a lot more substance than the Rainbow Magic books we are currently reading. Even Chaos listened to most of the story and seemed interested. That's a success in my book!


What are you reading this week? Are there any books your child has chosen to read that have surprised you?

Linking to:


2 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

We just checked out Little Pea and Not a Stick from the library and love them. And Dinosaurs Before Dark is sitting here on the computer desk, hoping that I'll push it on Firecracker a bit because I think she's ready for it. Funny our kids are reading so many of the same books. :)

Anne said...

Love so many of your choices! Not a Box and Not a Stick are favss, as is Little Pea. Have you seen Little Hoot and Little Oink? Similar reverse humor fun. Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...