Sunday, May 22, 2011

What My Child is Reading

Pinky and I have been reading a lot of chapter books lately. I thought I would dedicate this post to some of the new series we've started.


After finishing all 7 of the Jewel Fairy books we've moved on to the Weather Fairies. The story lines are still the same, but Pinky remains interested (and that's most important to me).


Pinky has shown a lot of interest in reading Harry Potter (because both of her parents are HP nerds!), but we feel it's still too old for her. I picked up the first book of the Spiderwick Chronicles, The Field Guide, as a younger alternative.


A funny story about a mermaid trying to help her friend Eel get his "zap" back. This was a quick winner for Pinky, who loves all things mermaid.


The Magician's Boy was a surprise hit to me. It's a quick read about a magician's assistant who gets sent into a story on a hunt for the magician's missing puppet. Pinky really enjoyed this story and recognized most of the classic stories the boy traveled through (which made me feel like I had done a good job of reading the classics to her!). I felt this book was a nice change - it still contained the magic that Pinky loves but was free of unicorns and fairies.


We continued with book 2 of the Magic Tree House series, The Knight at Dawn. Pinky (and Chaos) remained just as enthralled as they were with the first book, with Pinky asking when we can read the 3rd book. I am still amazed that she has taken to this series since it is outside her normal choices. I'm glad I gave it a try!


Finally, we read the first(?) book of the Disney Fairies series - The Trouble with Tink. This book is longer, more advanced, than the other chapter books we've been reading but since it 's all about Pinky's favorite fairy, she enjoyed it.

Linking to:


2 comments:

Anne said...

Catching up on neglected links! Thanks for linking up at Feed Me Books Friday! How did you end up feeling about the Spiderwick Chronicles? I have a nephew interested in HP and a little young as well... did Spiderwick fit the bill?

Anonymous said...

OMG I love these books i read them when I was younger..!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...